Y12 Pre-Teaching Course
The broad aim of the course is to give students a variety of teaching experiences so they can make an informed judgement about whether teaching is a career they would like to go into.
The course is for one year and includes:
- Sessions led by teachers on the theory of learning and practical applications in the classroom
- Supporting one KS3 lesson a week in a subject they are doing for A level. This will lead onto taking starters to lessons and build up to the students preparing and taking a full lesson.
- Two/three placements in different schools – primary, secondary and special
- A visit to Bishop Grosseteste teaching university in Lincoln to find out about routes into teaching
- First Aid training
- Completion of the AS Extended Project linked to an aspect of learning and teaching
A number of skills are developed through the course including:
- Presentation skills
- Communicating ideas to other students
- Managing a classroom environment
- Learning how to evaluate good practice and being able to be self- reflective
- First Aid